Sunday, April 8, 2007

Starting to wig out in @ Heathrow

This post could prove to be a disaster for several reasons:
  1. I have no clue what time my body thinks it is. It's 7:45am in London, and I've been in Heathrow for 2 hours now. With 90 minutes to go.#
  2. For some reason teh UK keyboards are a complete disaster. I am hitting keys I didn't know existed.

There are probably more reasons, but they don't come to mind right now. Anyways, the trip so far hasn't been awful. The flights here were both pleasant, with the Chicago to London leg especially so because the plane was fantastically empty. I had an entire row (5 seats) to myself, so I could lie completely flat. Had my body not thought it was early evening I probably would have slept. I maybe slept for an hour.

Anyways, I love being in London, even if I'm really not. It's a deceptively cool place, Heathrow. Everyone is a million different shades of @flesh@ (Sorry, I don't know where the quotes are). They all speak with this amazing accent. It's just great. I even saw an ad for KFC. It's like being at home. Also, Heathrow is just the most intoxicating place because you have no idea where you are, and you just keep getting shuttled to and from different spots, occasionally taking a bus, sometimes a train. I took both of those and I didn't actually leave the airport. I even had to go through immigration in order to check my bag to Munich (1 carry-on bag in the UK... boo their version of TSA). I have picture of one of the moving pathways that gives the lonely feel of the airport at 6am on a holiday.

That said, I'm concerned about duty free. As in, I walk in thinking "duty free" (ah, shift-2 for quotes), that's got to be a good deal. And then I do the math, and it seems like a total shaft. Is it a good deal for anyone? I can't believe its a deal for Americans, even with the tax-freeness. I'm also loving the cigarette warnings here ("CAUSES DEATH"). Not very blunt. I'm also thankful that none of the fancy shirt stores have been smart enough to staff themselves on Easter Monday with an attractive girl with a British accent. I would have maxed out the old credit card. I'm a sucker.

That's all for now. Probably going to post again in Germany.

No comments: