Saturday, April 14, 2007

Sober blogging

It's a little past 1:00 here in Munich... no beers as of yet, and given the paucity of internet cafes near beer gardens, I can't promise a post-beer blog post. You never know, but that's the way it looks now.

I went on a walking tour this morning, and have signed up for a beer tour this evening (they claim it's not a tour to get drunk, although it may happen... we'll see). Anyways, I'm not convinced that I've never been in Munich before. Some of the buildings are familiar, but most of them aren't. I spent 3 days here in 1999, and none of the city looks familiar. It's entirely possible that the city has changed in 8 years, but the other, more plausible, explanation is that I was way drunker than I thought in 1999. The tour I took then was on bikes, and it stopped at two beer gardens, and it was just a mess. If I learned anything it was to not be surprised by naked dudes in the English Gardens. But Munich history? Nothing.

Hopefully what I learned today will stick, as the city actually has a pretty interesting past.

Other thoughts:
  1. The Mike's Bike Tour for this morning was cancelled because the tour guide didn't show up. I've got to believe this happens all the time... those guys are drunks.
  2. There were four American college students studying in Vienna on my tour. It just kills me that I didn't study abroad... they pretty much spend every weekend in another cool city in Europe. Occasionally they study, but not really. Mainly they go to cool cities, party, and try to meet a scruffy multilingual tourguide to bring home to the midwest (that's what the four girls were doing today).
  3. Coolest thing I've seen today: Porsche Carerra GT. Me and another guy on the tour nearly lost the group because we saw it and spent 10 minutes staring and taking pictures. Didn't recognize the guy driving it, but he was almost certainly famous.
  4. I'm going to get a sunburn today. I'm kind of upset by that, but then again, I'm going to the palest city on the west coast, so it'll be nice to have the color.

No comments: