Monday, April 9, 2007

100mph on the Autobahn on 2 hours sleep? You guys play hoops for money?

So the trip is over. I'm in my hotel room in Regensburg, which looks like an amazingly pleasant place in the Bavarian countryside. Some old churches (this is home to Benedict XVI, or something like that). A nice university. Lots of people on bikes. I'm sure it would be even better if I knew where I was. My travelling companion forgot the map, so we cruised around for 30 minutes before finding the hotel. I had to translate a bus map into directions. In German. I'm a genius.

Anyways, if you rent a car in Munich, don't choose Dollar, as the cars aren't onsite. As far as I can tell, they may not actually be in Germany either. After figuring that out we got the car and roared off to Regensburg. Paul kept saying how he wasn't a fast driver, and then would say something like "Wow, I'm going 100". He wasn't (he's not good with the mph/kph deal), but we were still going fast, and he's only had slightly more sleep than me. He also drove a decent way down a one way road (the wrong way), but we're all good now. I was supposedly navigating and missed the first two turns, which were actually highways. My readership should know that I don't get lost on the road. Unless it is in Venice after 8 bottles of wine.

There really aren't going to be any more stories, at least now. I'm going to sleep (it's 8pm), will work tomorrow, hopefully see Regensburg tomorrow evening. That said, German radio is fascinating. As is the "GPS" system in our car. It won't let you program destination, but it will tell you what street you are on and your lat/long coordinates. Which, when you are lost in a German city is incredibly useless information.

No comments: