Monday, April 30, 2007

Great reading for flight to/from SEA

(I'm totally stealing Huan's idea, so please don't credit me if you follow my advice.)

(Also, it would work for any cross country flight.)

As I was waiting for my flight out of RDU on Sunday I happened across a used bookstore. I think this is just a fantastic business to have in an airport... I really like the idea of having a cheap, diverse set of books available when you are a captive audience. There's no way this place lasts very long, but it's a great idea while it lasts.

Anyways, I bought a copy of The Great Gatsby ($2, steal of the century), which I haven't read since junior year in high school. I really disliked my English teacher that year, and so I largely wrote off most of the books that we read as crappy and unworthy of my time. Obviously only an idiot would think that, and hopefully I'm becoming less of an idiot with time. Anyways, I agree with the critics: The Great Gatsby is one of if not the greatest American novel. It's easily short enough to read on a cross-country flight, and I think it makes you look smart when compared to all the dopes reading DaVinci Code. Pick it up when you come visit, or take my copy when you head back East.

No comments: