Saturday, April 7, 2007

Guten tag

As I have complained to everyone within earshot in the past two weeks, I'm going to Germany tomorrow morning and I'm not very happy about it. In fact, I'm dreading it. Being in Germany won't be that bad, but the journey couldn't be worse. I've never been a believer in positive thinking, instead I feel if expectations are as low as possible it's hard to be disappointed (although domestic airlines continue to surpass the lowest expectations possible).

Amongst the many possible choices, here are the top reasons I'm dreading the next few days:
  • Apparently the Sea-Tac airport has very little parking left because so many people have left town for Spring Break. I can't even make a reservation at off-site places (where, technically, I'm supposed to park based on corporate travel rules.)
  • Corporate travel rules.
  • Missing Masters Sunday. This is a very important day for me. Obviously it isn't important in the same sense that "family" and "health" are important, but I really, really enjoy spending the 2nd Sunday in April on a couch watching golf at Augusta. And, if I'm lucky, I'll see about 60 minutes of coverage tomorrow. My flight lands in Chicago at 2:30, and takes off again at 4:00 or so. And, since its United and not Jet Blue, there won't be live TV. Sweet.
  • Roughly, here are the important time checks for my journey:
    • Depart SEA 8:30am Seattle time (10:30am Chicago time, 11:30am Masters time, 5:30pm Munich time)
    • Depart ORD 4:00pm Chicago time (1:00pm Seattle time, 6:00pm Masters time, 10:00pm Munich time)
    • Arrive LHR 6:00am London time (10:00pm Seattle time, 1am Masters time, 7:00am Munich time)
    • Depart LHR 9:35am London time (1:35am Seattle time, 4:35am Masters time, 10:35am Munich time)
    • Arrive MUC 12:20pm Munich time (3:20am Seattle time, 6:20am Masters time)
    • Wait in MUC until 3:50pm for co-workers flight to arrive (6:20am Seattle time)
    • Drive to Regensburg in Germany.
Yup. At least I'll be flying business class the whole way.* And, at least I don't have to waste three weekend days on business travel, as rather than returning on Friday or Saturday when I'm done with work, I'll get to stay until the following Sunday because the plane fare is cheaper.** Wow. How lucky am I?

I'm sure things will be better than I expect, but I'm (obviously) not optimistic. Expect emails from me at strange times. Or, expect to see a BBC news blurb about an American going nuts in customs and getting arrested.

* Except for all of the segments on planes. I'll be in coach.
** Unless you count Sunday and Saturday as weekend days.

No comments: