Saturday, February 3, 2007

Week 1 differences

Differences I've noted so far:

1) Drivers. They are patient and nice to a fault, thus they are amazingly easy to take advantage of. They also complain a lot about traffic, even though by reasonable measures the traffic isn't that bad.

2) Freezing fog. My new fear in life is freezing fog. I can't think of a more terrifying weather phenomenon.

3) The time change. Every time I see a clock I do the math to figure out what time it is in real places, like DC. For example, I wake up at 10am, go in to work at 11am, and go home around 9pm. I need to stop doing the math.

4) The way people dress. Everything is definitely casual, but its the reverse of the East Coast. People work in very casual, comfortable clothes. But when I go out to bars it's immediately obvious that everyone has put in time to look better than they did at work. The dudes look like dudes anywhere (trendy jeans, lots and lots of striped shirts). The girls, interestingly, look kind of trashy. Lots of make-up, lots of engineering, lots of skin. The difference with a conservative place like DC is immediately obvious.

5) The climate. It rained yesterday, which was the first rain I've seen since I arrived. What strikes me though is how much warmer the same air temperature feels. I think that might be due to the moisture in the air (DC is dry, Seattle isn't). But I like it.

That's what I've got now. I hope to have some pictures of my corporate apartment later this week. Huan may or may not start posting as well, depending on whether or not Apple has fixed his computer. For the 3rd time. In 3 days.

No comments: