Monday, February 19, 2007

Salsa Roadie

Generally when one sees a red plastic Solo cup in the vicinity of a beer pong party one expects said cup to be filled with a frothy beverage. When said cup is then taken out of the party (potentially to another party, or to a Brazilian steak house, for example), that cup becomes a Roadie.

Rarely does one encounter a Roadie filled with salsa. But that's exactly what happened this past Saturday.

Tyler H. invited Huan and I to some party thrown by Microsoft and HBS folks. It was actually quite a bit of fun... good people, mostly decent beer, great music, and inarguably the best salsa I've ever had. It was also the best salsa that Huan has ever had, so when I asked how much I had to pay him to take the leftover salsa home with us, the price was more than affordable: $1. After depositing the salsa in the cup, the following conversation took place (this is approximate/completely made up):

Host: Um, what's in the cup?
Huan: Your salsa. It's the best salsa I've ever had.
Host: I can see that. And you're taking it home?
Huan: Yes.
Host: [silence... he was obviously ready for the party to end, and not just because of us]
Huan: I mean, you got it as Costco*, so it probably comes in gallon jars, right?
Host: No, it comes in regular size bottles. I guess I'll have to get more.

We then went home. To commemorate the occasion, I took the following picture of the Salsa Roadie at 2:08am**:


* If anyone has a Costco membership and wants to send us a care package, we'd gladly accept. I prefer medium spice.

** Sadly, we lacked chips, so we couldn't actually enjoy the salsa roadie until Sunday afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

TC gets the conversation mostly right. And it truly was the best salsa I have ever had. The next morning, I felt slightly bad about the roadie, because I realized if some long-haired Asian guy that I'd never met before came to my house for a party and, after drinking my beer and eating my snacks, decided to also take the rest of my really good salsa home with him, Franko would probably have to hold me back. But then I made and omelet, smothered it with roadie salsa, and the guilt went away.

Anonymous said...

on the food topic, I am slowly eating my way thru the Bistro du Coin menu, much like HH did with Astor. This past weekend, I checked off the rock fish and le boeuf bourginon (both off the hizzook).