Saturday, February 24, 2007

Comcast and WA DMV: not as sucky as expected

It's been a weird week. My expectations for customer service from cable providers and DMVs are indescribably low. If a Comcast tech comes to my house and doesn't rob me or fall asleep I consider it a success; if I can get out of a DMV in under 12 hours I consider it a success.

Which is why I'm stunned by my experiences this past week.

Comcast was scheduled to come this past Sunday between 12-4. I told several people back East to give me a call in that time frame, since I was certain that no one would show up until 5 or 6 or Thursday. Thus I thought it was a prank when the Comcast guy showed up at 12:30. He showed up, quickly installed my cable box, helped me set up my cable modem, and left. I actually wrote on the survey "This was my only positive experience dealing with Comcast in seven years."

This morning I set out on what I assumed to be a day-long effort to get my drivers license and WA tags. Strangely, you can only get your license at the DMV here, while you must go to a private company to get your tags and title. Sweet! I thought... two opportunities to wait in line. So I packed a couple of magazines and a granola bar and set off. It took me 30 minutes to get my temporary license. Stunning. The DMV employees were actually nice and helpful.

Thus I figured the real wait must be at the place to get tags. I drove over and put 1:15 on the parking meter, figuring it would be a debacle. But no! I walked in, filled out a form, waited 5 minutes, and got tags, a title, and registration. Quick and easy. Painless. And incredibly boring to write about. Sorry for the long post with no payoff.

No comments: