Sunday, May 20, 2007

Golf blogging

Golf stories stink. I say this despite the fact that I love sitting around and retelling them over and over (and over and over) again. But for people who don't play, or really even people who didn't play in the round under discussion, golf is a painfully dull sport. There's no poetry in the 75 foot lag putt. There's very little romance in the wedge that spins back for a kick-in birdie. There are only so many times one can say "Chicks dig the long ball" after you nail a 300 yard drive.

But I'm going to spit in the face of popular opinion and write about golf. I'll start by detailing my best round ever, which happened yesterday. I shot 82 at West Seattle, which ties my low score in absolute terms, and is my best score relative to par ever (+10). It lowered my handicap to 11.6, which is the best its ever been. You would think that I'd be jazzed, but to be honest, I'm pretty confused about the status of my game.

(West Seattle is a pretty cheap muni, but it has amazing views of the city. The first 16 holes were designed by the guy who designed Pebble Beach, so it has some nice old-school design elements. See pics below.)



Why am I confused? Normally I'm good off the tee and hit decent irons, and I can be a streaky good putter, but I'm terrible at chipping the ball. I hit exactly one fairway yesterday (on #17 after being mocked by my playing partners for threatening to hit 3-wood). Well, that's not entirely true... I probably hit 7 fairways, but 6 of them were on the wrong hole. But I managed to hit back into the greens complex, make a decent chip, make a short putt, and get out with par or bogey. I was never really in trouble. It was a stressful 82.

In the end the score is a partially a function of luck... West Seattle is designed with rows of trees separating fairways, so there isn't much of a penalty for being wild off the tee. But between this round and the WaDuke round I really like the way I'm striking the ball. I finally think I'll be able to hit my New Year's resolution of breaking 80 this year.

The round in stats:
Score: 6, 5, 3, 6, 4, 3, 4, 6, 6 (43, +6); 4, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 4, 5 (39, +4)
GIR: 5
Fairways: 1
Putts: 30
Birdies: 1
Pars: 7

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like golf stories...keep 'em coming. I'd particularly like a review of the suppossedly cool new course up there called Chambers Bay...make it happen.

Gonz