Monday, August 20, 2007

Peach-O-Rama

Apparently it is Peach-O-Rama time here in Seattle. What does this mean? Well, the peaches are quite good, so that's fun. Plus, there is some sort of new/fake metric that determines exactly how sweet the peaches are. The "Brix" rating is technically a measure of the specific gravity of a sucrose solution, but apparently it is also seen as the best way to measure whether a peach is going to be any good.

When my folks were in town I had some peaches that were 13-14 on the Brix scale, and they were very good. Today I had one that measured 14.5, and it was phenomenal. The little stand at my market states that some peaches can reach 18-19, and are "transcendental" in flavor. Given that both peaches I've had recently were WAY better than earlier peaches discussed in this blog I can attest that an 18 Brix peach would just be unspeakably good. So if you find one, peel it, and then eat it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear that this place goes great with succulent peaches. When I get to Seattle in a couple weeks I'm going here. - Drew

Anonymous said...

Sorry here is the placce http://www.salumicuredmeats.com/