Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Chef recommends

Two things I've been enjoying a lot recently:

1) Okkervil River. I feel like I get burned most of the time I take a risk and buy something recommended by Pitchfork, but something told me I'd like these guys. I do. Obviously I'm pretty behind the times (they've been around for some time), but if you like Spoon or newer Wilco then pick up both their new album (The Stage Names), and their older one (Black Sheep Boy).

2) The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Um, wow. For a plot that is kind of like Beyond Thunderdome I didn't expect much, but I nearly missed my bus stop yesterday morning, and then again yesterday evening, and I could barely make myself put it down and go to sleep last night. I'll finish it this evening, but it's incredibly powerful writing. I've not read McCarthy's other's stuff, but if it's half as good as this it'll be worth the time to go through his collection. (Normally I wouldn't recommend something on Oprah's Book Club list, but it's really that good.)

No comments: