Monday, June 25, 2007

Naked peaches

I'm now making pretty regular trips to Pike Place Market to get produce on the weekends. Its relatively inexpensive and now that I've found the best vendors the quality is just incredible. I'd been focusing on cherries, mushrooms, and apples until two weeks ago when Huan informed me that the peaches were pretty good. I feel like I have a fairly refined palate when it comes to peaches; my family would often be in South Carolina during prime peach season when I was growing up, and even though Georgia might be known as the Peach State, South Carolina more than holds its own.

So when the guy hawking peaches last week claimed that these were the best peaches anyone had ever had, I told him that I had had a couple of good peaches in my day. He cut a slice off his sample peach and told me that my order would be free if I could look him in the face and tell him it wasn't the best peach I had ever had.

I paid for my peaches.

Sadly, the State of Washington seems to be home to peach fuzz eaters. Again, I feel as if I come from peach country, and I can't seem to remember anyone eating a fuzzy peach. Peaches, like oranges and kiwis and bananas, are meant to be peeled. To this day it freaks me out when I see someone just grab a peach and go to town. Maybe this is one of those things where I'm a freak (since nearly everyone I talk to seems to eat fuzzy peaches), but if so, I'm a freak on a terrific moral high ground.

Peel your peaches. Please. At least in front of me.

1 comment:

-One of the Tans- said...

For a second I thought it was naked 'beaches'. LOL

- WW