Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The question is what sense am I losing?

I figured that turning 30 would mostly be a bad thing. I get jet lagged easily. Three beers turns me into a wreck the next day. I keep scaring away girls by telling stories about Europe that involve lots of different currencies.

But there have been two upsides:

1) I'm getting hairier.
2) My sense of smell has become remarkably acute.

With respect to Upside #1, let me not overstate things. I would estimate that the time it would take me to grow a full beard has declined from somewhere around "half-life of a carbon atom" to "duration of the reign of a communist dictator", and I might have double my chest hairs from 7 to 14. Baby steps. Baby steps.

With respect to Upside #2, I can't tell if I am developing this sense globally, or if I'm just noticing the incredible range of odors of the people in Seattle. I've blogged about this previously, but there are some really terrible smelling people here. I can now not only spot these folks a mile away, but I feel like I can predict if they will only smell bad when I walk by, or if they are leaving a trail of their scent. Kind of like a shadow of stink. I can detect the difference between "booze only" stink and "booze + piss" stink.

I've also become more aware of women and the perfume's they wear. For the most part I think I just appreciate anything that is feminine and not gross, but I find my head spinning when I pass a group of young ladies who are slathered in various fancy perfumes. This isn't always a good thing. The other day I was sitting on the bus when I had the overwhelming sense of panic... I was sure that the girl next to me was going to start yelling at me or crying or asking me if I thought her jeans made her look fat. It took me a while to figure this out, but she was wearing the same perfume as Crazy _____, a girl I used to date. Luckily there was no drama.

And this is the point in the post where I don't have anything else to say, nor do I have a cute way to wrap things up. So I'm done.

No comments: