Saturday, July 14, 2007

They have to inspect roads here a lot

As far as I can remember, roads in DC were never shut down to be inspected. They were closed for repairs or to allow parades or what not, but never for preventative inspections. They seem to do this in Seattle all the time.

Back in the spring they shut down the Viaduct for a weekend (imagine the Whitehurst Freeway if it ran from G'town to the SW Waterfront), and this weekend they are shutting down one of the floating bridges (imagine if I-66 were a bridge from East Falls Church to Tysons).

In principle I think I'm okay with closing roads to inspect them, but it makes me wonder whether Seattle is just WAY to cautious, or if DC just didn't care whether their roads were in danger of collapsing. It's probably a little from Column A and Column B. Regardless, it annoys me because there will be lots of traffic when I go play golf tomorrow.

No comments: