Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The best $400 I wish I didn't not spend

I know there will be little sympathy for me from my readers on the East Coast who deal with heat and humidity, but it's been brutally hot out here the past couple of days. Highs have been in the upper 90s, and while it cools off some at night, with daylight until 9:30 it takes a loooong time for the evening to become comfortable. What makes the heat difficult to deal with is the lack of air conditioning in my apartment, and its apparent imperviousness to evening cooling. Huan and I were playing Wii tennis this evening when I decided to measure the temperature. Given this was with a meat thermometer, so it isn't that precise, but here's what I found:

Inside apartment: 92
Outside apartment: 76
Medium rare beef: 140

So while our apartment wasn't quite "rare", it was a full 16 degrees warmer than the outdoors. Huan jokes that he might sleep on the porch. This is sad, but only because I'm jealous he thought of the idea before me.

Sadder still is that I was at Home Depot last night in anticipation of the heat. I decided that a $60 fan would be sufficient rather than following the lemmings that were buying the portable A/C units for $400 a pop. Clearly, I'm an idiot. If it doesn't cool off tomorrow I'm going to spend whatever it costs to get an air conditioned hotel, and if it doesn't cool off the day after that, I'm going to buy an A/C unit.

No comments: