Saturday, February 23, 2008

Road Trip: Seattle - LA - DC

I've made the last couple of posts from my hotel in Redding, CA. I did about 620 miles today, including some "sightseeing" in Salem, OR (a pretty lame state Capitol building). The trip went really smoothly until I hit Weed, CA, when I-5 goes back up into the mountains. It snowed on me for the last 70 miles, and snow/dark/unfamiliar roads is pretty much the trifect of super-stressful driving. But I'm here. Sadly I can't post any of pictures because of my lame hotel internet access.

That said, here's what I can tell about Redding:
  • There's a really cool bridge*
  • The "city center" has nothing open after 8:00
  • Well, it has some things open: a couple of cheap and seedy motels, and a couple of bars that looked way to tough for me.
  • The "Hill Top" area has every chain business imaginable. It's like they just said "Screw downtown, we're just going to build an entirely new city center about two miles on the other side of the interstate.
  • If it weren't night and raining I bet it would be very pretty.
On to LA (West Hollywood, to be specific) in the morning.


View Larger Map

No comments: