Sunday, February 3, 2008

The iPhone

It's here. I hesitated after it first came out, thinking that there might be bugs or glitches or new features that would be added. But the yearning and desire? It never went away. I need the iPhone. And so today?

I bought it.

It's gorgeous. It must be so easy to use that Apple doesn't even bother putting instructions in the box. Just the phone, a dock, a charger, and some headphones. Lovely.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to use the phone yet, despite having owned it for nearly 10 hours now. It would seem the activation process doesn't quite work. I first ran into problems when I tried to transfer my number. It would seem that I can't transfer my 703 number to a Seattle billing address. So I had to set up my billing address as my parents. First hurdle cleared.

I continued through the process and got to the final screen. No dice. It would seem that there was an issue on my credit report. This isn't a surprise: I put a bunch of fraud blocks on my credit reports after I got robbed. This makes it impossible for anyone to pull my credit without my explicit permission. Well, the iPhone activation process doesn't take this into account, so I had to drive back down to the AT&T store to get approved in person. Sweet. Way to improve the AT&T experience.

After getting the necessary codes I took a six hour break to watch the Super Bowl and have some fried turkey. Got home expecting to finish up the activation and start playing with my phone.

No dice.

Despite have the right credit activation code, and all the other information, I got forced into a manual queue. And so now I wait. I've got nothing. The iPhone just stares at me, wanting to do something cool. It mocks. It laughs at me. The hours pass by. The hole in my heart gets bigger.

Come to me iPhone. Please.

No comments: