Monday, February 25, 2008

Flagstaff

We made it to Flagstaff today. Picked up my dad a little before 10:00 and immediately hit the road. 105 to the 605 to the 10 to the 15 to the 40 to Williams, AZ. In Williams we took a left turn and went to see the Grand Canyon. All I can say about the Grand Canyon is WOW. I'm not sure how many things in life live up to their hype, but this is one of them. Other than that, not a lot of news to report. It still amazes me how little there is in the West... it was easy to drive 60 miles today without seeing an exit from the highway, and often those exits lead to roads that didn't seem to go anywhere worth going to.

Two photos from today:


This was taken at speed somewhere on I-40 between Ludlow, CA and the California/Arizona borderd. But really it could have been taken anywhere on I-40, which has looked like this for the past 400 miles.



This, obviously, is the Grand Canyon. We got there just a few minutes before sunset, so the colors were very impressive. It was (un) surprisingly cold (you can see some of the snow on the ground). I'm not that talented a writer, so I won't try to put the GC into words. If you haven't been, it's on my highly recommended list.

No comments: