Saturday, February 23, 2008

Chambers Bay in detail

In short: sublime. I honestly may not have a better golfing experience.

The crowd sounds are going to be really cool during the Open. The entire course sits in a little bowl (it is, after all, a former gravel pit), with the highest points sitting 100-150 feet above the lowest points. The dunes provide some separation between holes, but there really isn't anything to keep sound from traveling and echoing against the pit walls. When Tiger is pouring in 30 footers on Sunday it's going to be pretty intense.

The course record is 70; I've probably never been within 16 shots of a course record, ever. I can see how the course would get to be unplayable in a hurry. The USGA could set the course up to play anywhere between -4 and +20, especially if the wind blows. I had a four putt (coming off a birdie, too), but I didn't putt into a bunker (Michael did), nor did I miss a putt by 55 yards (Stewart did). I can see pros making the exact same mistake.

I seemed to be one of the few guys with a caddy, even though it was incredibly useful. Most 2nd shots were aimed 20 yards away from where I would have aimed if left to my own devices. I really had to suspend disbelief on a couple of the shots, thinking there was no way I really wanted to hit it where he had me aimed, but sure enough, things always worked out. While I needed the caddy's advice on 18 holes, I really only had about 14 holes of conversation saved up and only 15 holes of patience for some of his advice and telling me why his advice was good. That said, I did enjoy that he thought I should be a 7-8 handicapper with my swing. He wasn't wrong (13/14 fairways, 11/18 greens), except that he hadn't seen me putt yet.

My only regret is that I played the white tees (6000 yards) rather than the Sand tees (6400). Honestly, my score probably would have been the same. I had one six-iron into the green, but I was hitting driver/wedge most of the day, and there were four holes where I didn't even need driver. In general, I drove the ball like a fiend... made some really aggressive carry shots, and I was in the greenside traps on two of the par 5s (took 3 to get out of the first), and birdied the other. I really should have birdied 15... had 8 feet and one of the Scottsman drilled his putt on the exact line.

Everyone should have a chance to be paired with two Scottish guys from Canada. Hilarious, full of good stories. Thought I would split my pants laughing when one of them said "That's crap!" like Mike Myers in So I Married an Axe Murderer. They also had the best name I've heard for a 9: "Fraulein's Rejection" (or Nein, as it were). Also fun to see how they comfortable are putting from anywhere, including 50 yards off the green in swales 50 feet below the green. They had no fear of keeping the ball on the ground the entire way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story and glad you enjoyed your experience....management of Chambers Bay

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous...definitely going tobring my clubs on the next trip to Seattle.

Is it a future Ooopen venue too?

Drew