Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Interesting dinner conversations

Had a big Friday night this past weekend... the 19 different versions of HBO I get were showing the full Star Wars series (parts I-VI) in order. I pretended that episodes I-III were never made and watched the bulk of Empire Strikes Back (obviously the best of the bunch). I noted something that had escaped my purview prior to this watching. It occurs during the scene on Cloud City where Lando leads Han and Leia and Chewie to Vader.

Lando opens the door and everyone is stunned to see Vader, but after Vader snatches away Han's gun, everyone continues into the room and seems to sit down at dinner. What in the world do they talk about? The next scene in the movie is Luke taking leave of his Jedi training, so there is obviously some time for the bunch to sit down and enjoy whatever food they enjoy in the far, far, future. Do they talk politics? The market for Tibanna gas?

I think this would be a great McSweeney's article. Other dinner conversations that might be interesting:
  • Tiger Woods and Roger Federer: ESPN makes a big deal about the fact that they go watch each other play and then hang out afterwards. Is it possible they really talk about being the best in the world at what they do? "Hey Tiger, don't you like it that you are better than everyone? I do. Pass the onions."
  • Any collection of Smurfs. I am a believer in the theory that Smurfs are not, in fact, asexual, and thus the tension amongst the Smurfs would just be unbearable. At some point someone is going to smurf someone else upside the head.
  • All of the personalities played by Chevy Chase in Fletch. I mean, if Mr Poon, Harry S Truman, John Cocktosen, it would be fantastic.

No comments: