Thursday, October 11, 2007

Soap Box Derby

The blog has been out of commission for a couple of weeks. I've been focusing all my attention on the 2007 Ooopen Championship, arguably the most important 3 days on my calendar for any given year. There will be bloggage on the Ooopen over the weekend.

But now it's time for something I'm definitely doing next year: The Red Bull Soap Box Derby. Basically it's like go-karting, only the participants are usually drunk and the vehicles have no engines. Like this:




Literally there isn't much to these things. The real fun comes before they push these down the hill. Each team has to do some sort of dance, there's a theme and costumes and all sorts of good stuff. This year's judges included Sir Mix-a-Lot (of baby got back fame), Nick Collison (of Seattle Sonics fame), Amanda Beard (of Olympic gold medalist and, um, Playboy fame), and maybe some sort of X-Gamer who I've never heard of. But between a hot swimmer and Sir Mix-a-Lot I was enthralled.

Anyways, my buddy Chris has a garage, and I'm pretty sure that we can buy an old go-kart frame to use as a base, and then we just need a theme. Dad -- figure out how to get the old karting crew out to Seattle next September. We'll also need a welder. And a choreographer. And some creativity... here are some of the other participants:



No comments: