Thursday, October 18, 2007

My dentist prefers that you call him Ryan

Technically he introduced himself as Dr Ryan, but I'm pretty sure that I could get away with Ryan. You see, it turns out that my criteria of "closest to my apartment" when search for a dentist out here has led me into the new age of dentistry. Some might call it the New Face of Dentistry. (Seriously, click the link.)

Frankly, it's too early to tell whether I like the new face or the old face of dentistry. I'll be honest: we pretty much accomplished nothing during my first visit. There was a lot of chatting with the hygienist (who used to live in DC, has a husband who knew HBS and Duke people), lots of x-rays taken (and re-taken), and only a few minutes looking at my teeth. There wasn't even a cleaning. For a few minutes it felt like I was getting an estimate on car work, and then, in fact, I got an estimate. Or will, whenever the "encrypted email" arrives.

Since I have no fewer than three more appointments before the end of the year, here are my thoughts about what the future holds:

  1. I'm fairly concerned by the website. First, the whole patient/guest thing is dumb. Guess what: one is not a guest if one requires local anesthetic on a visit. Second, look at the website again. Specifically, try and read this. While it's nice to be recognized with Capital Letters, I'd really feel a lot better if the grammar didn't suck. Read the sentence about putting stuff into my mouth and restoring my tooth. WTF?
  2. My appointment was at 5, and my visit was definitely rushed because Dr. Ryan was taking his hygienists to happy hour. No joke. This was mentioned at least three times.
  3. Rather than asking that I have my previous dental records transferred out here, he told me that he would assume I received terrible care in the past. I actually kind of like that attitude, but only if he brings it strong.
  4. He started singing a Siouxie and the Banshees song and we got into an argument as to whether it was Siouxie or Ace of Base. No one should ever mix up these groups. The hygienist actually called Doc Ryan "stupid" for getting them confused. He said he hated to be wrong, and so he rarely was. Hmm. Misplaced intellectual confidence. Not a great sign for a dentist.
So, given all that, why am I going back? Well, others say good things about him, he is convenient, and then there's this:
  1. HDTV. And tiny cameras. And digital x-rays. And text message appointment reminders. Ryan has certainly invested in technology, and as everyone knows, I am a sucker for unnecessary technology. I was hooked when I walked in and started signing documents on a computer monitor. When he then showed me photographs of my silver fillings that were starting to deteriorate (I guess they don't last forever) I was smitten. I'm pretty sure that at some point he will integrate the iPhone into my treatment. I'm giddy with anticipation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to alarm you, but I think you may want to reconsider your decision to let a guy who looks like he sits around and plays video games on his mom's couch all day put his hands in your mouth. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I went to Dr. Ryan and had the exact same experience you did. The first visit was exactly as you described it and the 2nd one for my filling the hygienist and Dr. Ryan were debating over whether the song playing was a Savage garden song or not. I didn't mind it or anything but its funny to see someone else having the exactly same experience I did over there (and yes they did mention beer30 at least 5 times while I was there)