Monday, October 1, 2007

Dead to me: Hilton Hotels

There is a lot of stuff from this weekend that I probably should blog about: mouse hockey, having the proprietor of a restaurant come to our table and tell us that we were "some of the best eaters he had ever seen", the Red Bull Soap Box Derby races*, an epic 5-game bowling match... but all of those have to wait, because I need to use my soapbox to denounce Hilton Hotels.

They closed my account.

It's not obvious why this is so offensive, until you think back to Y2K. I'm not sure where you were that year, but I was in a Hilton Garden Inn in Addison, Texas. For 133 nights. That's right. More than 1/3 of a year. I built up hundreds of thousands of points that year, and ever since I've been bleeding off a few tens of thousands each year. Apparently I haven't done anything with Hilton in the past 12 months. Because that's the reason they shuttered my account, which had over 200,000 points in it (that's about 10 free nights).

I'm just stunned by this. I know that travel companies have been de-valuing points programs with amazing rapidity, but to not give me any warning before closing my account, well, that's just unacceptable. I'm sure I could have found magazines or golf clubs or something.

Anyways, that's it for me and Hilton. They are officially removed from my list of preferred travel providers. That should show them.


* Trust me, there will be blog about this, because it's possible I may dedicate myself to winning this even it 2008. Dad -- get the go-kart guys ready.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Before you kiss off those 200,000 points too quickly, it might pay for you contact Hilton and ask why you weren't given a warning? I just got a warning from United Airllines. Seems only fair that Hilton should do something similar.