Saturday, September 15, 2007

Maybe this is why Franko got a cat

My friend Jon got a cat back in March. Somehow this was a replacement for the friendship of Huan and me since we both moved away from DC. We've long debated why he felt the need to replace us with a cat.

I think I know why.

Having someone around is a great excuse not to eat. I lost about 15 pounds after moving to Seattle. A lot of it was the stress and emotion of the move. Some of it was not knowing anyone, and thus having no excuse to go out drinking. But some of it was having someone else in my apartment who would (passively) make me feel guilty about sneaking late night snacks or eating a 2nd portion of my dinner meal.

Now that I've started to meet people who like going out, I find myself in bars a lot more frequently than in the Spring. And with Huan living it up in the China I don't have anyone to shame me into not eating. The combination (along with a stretch of work that kept me out of the gym and eating takeout food) has encouraged a couple of the lost pounds to find their way back to my belly. Which makes me wonder: Should I get a cat to shame me into not eating?

And then I snap back to reality and realize that cats are lame. I'd rather be fat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no you were right the first time, I replaced you guys with a cat. I have not yet tried to sell him to the highest bidder in Georgetown as I once did to you, which should tell you something.

Anonymous said...

Mom's Solution: Meet people who like to play tennis and hike more than they like beer and french fries (or appletinis and brie)! No vet fees. No added pounds. Improved serve.