Saturday, September 15, 2007

Hard days work

I wish I had some pictures to share, because it would make telling this story a whole lot easier. That's not entirely true... there isn't much of a story here. I spent today experiencing a real college football game, which not only includes an actual game but 2+ hours of pre-game tailgating, another couple hours of post-game tailgating, and finally wrapping up with a traffic-filled bus/car ride home.

Being a Duke alum I never really experienced real college football. Sure, we played Florida State and other actual football teams, but I think we won 9 games during my four years. The whole Duke football experience was so lame that students didn't even bother to drink at their dorms before walking 1/4 mile to the stadium, where tickets were free. It was awful. There is no debating that Duke has the worst Division 1 football program in America.* Basketball made up for it at the time, but now that I'm out of college I feel I missed something that most of my friends didn't.

So when I buddy from work offered up a ticket to the UW/Ohio State game I snapped it up. We were able to find a tailgate, albeit with Ohio State fans. Brats, sausages, grilled onions, bean salad, enough brownies to kill a horse... it was a veritable feast. Oh, and there may have been some beer. I love that the police can't/won't do anything about people walking around with keg cups, but they take extreme offense if you are standing around with an actual beer can. Is that what our public safety officers have been relegated to? Making me put it in a cup?

Anyhoo, the only thing more fun than a pre-game tailgate is a post-game tailgate, especially when the tailgate host's team won. UW gave OSU a fight for 30 minutes, but they didn't have enough in the tank to pull it out. I barely had enough in the tank to finish out the tailgate and make it home. Some of us leave it all on the field. And some of us leave it all in the parking lot.

* Holy S***! Duke WINS! First win against a real team in 3 years! Woo-hoo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i don't think you realize how lucky you were to tailgate at an OSU game!!