Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Some things live up to the hype

A sample ranking of the best concerts I've ever seen:

1) James Brown, House of Blues, Atlanta Summer Olympics. Went in through the VIP back door, convinced bartenders to serve me beer (I was 19), peed next to Scottie Pippen, and danced with a future TV sportscaster. Plus it was the Godfather of Soul.

2) U2, Verizon Center, October 2005. I'm not even sure if it was a great U2 show, but they're the definitive band of my generation.

3) Arcade Fire (and LCD Soundsystem), Bank of America Pavilion, September 2007. Kind of a crappy venue, but LCD Soundsystem proved that electronic bands can play mean live shows, and then Arcade Fire lived up to all the hype. Slightly fewer people on stage than Wu-Tang, but those that are there tend to be more involved in the show and less likely to be too stoned to sing. Seriously: go see Arcade Fire. They are worth the money and effort.

No comments: