Thursday, December 20, 2007

Not all that deceiving, really





I decided to go driving last weekend. Ostensibly I wanted to get some highway miles on my car to see if there was some reason I was getting 12 mpg, but I also thought it would be fun to see what's north of Seattle. Each mile farther north I go becomes the farthest north I've been in North America. I ended up driving to Bellingham (home of Western Washington U), but it was too rainy to bother walking around to see if there was anything interesting to, um, see.

On my way back south I drove onto Fidalgo Island and Whidbey Island and to the bridge between them at Deception Pass. I had heard that it was a pretty neat setting. I think the pictures seem to validate that:

Here's my problem with Deception Pass: it really isn't very deceptive. Apparently it was so named because the narrow straight fooled people into thinking that Whidbey Island was really Whidbey Peninsula. Or because Deception Island blocked the view of the pass from the ocean and deceived people into thinking the pass was really a bay. Take a look at the island.


Are you confused? Why do idiots from the 1700s get to name everything just because they were first?

No comments: